Entry clearance as a General Student visa

General Student visa
UK Student visa

The Tier 4 Student visa (General) is a visa for International Students who want to study a course in the United Kingdom which leads to a level 6 qualification. It is a Point Based Category, where an applicant receives points for Certificate of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) and Funds for Maintenance. The course provider must be a Home Office recognised sponsor. For the register of licensed Tier 4 sponsors, please look here.

Basic Requirements

  • an individual has to provide an unconditional offer on a course issued by a licensed course provider
  • an individual must show that he/she has enough money to maintain and accommodate themselves and their dependents during the full period of their studies
  • the course must be full time; it is required to undertake at least 15 hours per week of study if the course leads to
  • at least level 3 qualification
  • an individual must be 16 years or over

Key information:

  • this immigration route does not lead to a settlement
  • it is possible to switch from this category into Tier 2 Skilled Worker
  • a General Student may work 10/20 hours per week (depending on a type of the course) during the term and full time outside of term time up to 40 hours per week

Switching into the leave to remain in the UK as a General Student

A person can apply under the Tier 4 (General) student category if he/she has, or last received, leave to remain in the UK in any of the following categories:

  • Tier 4 (Child) Student,
  • Tier 1 (Post-study Work) Migrant,
  • Tier 2 Migrant,
  • Postgraduate Doctor or Dentist,
  • Student,
  • Prospective Student,
  • Student Nurse,
  • Participant in the Fresh Talent: Working in Scotland Scheme,
  • Student Re-sitting an Examination,
  • Participant in the International Graduates Scheme (or its predecessor, the Science and Engineering Graduates Scheme),
  • Student Writing-Up a Thesis,
  • Work Permit Holder.
  • Student Union Sabbatical Officer,

Extension of Student visa

You can extend yourA Student Visa within no more than 28 days between the expiry of student’s leave to remain in the UK and the start date of his new course. If there is more than 28 days gap between the expiry of permission to stay as a student and the start date of your new course, an individual has to leave the UK and apply for General Student Visa from his/her country of nationality by making a new entry clearance application.

Dependants Of General Students

Family members (dependants) might be able to join and stay in the UK with an individual who has a valid leave to remain as a General Student.
Dependants or family members of the General Student are either:

  • husband, wife or civil partner; or
  • unmarried or same-sex partner; or
  • child aged under 18 years old.

Dependent children can be over 18 years old if they are in the UK now as dependants.
The leave to remain as a Dependant of the General Student is granted in line with the expiry date of the General Student’s visa.

It is not possible to switch into the category as a Dependant of the General Student if an applicant has either a leave to enter or remain as a visitor; or temporary admission, or temporary release.

The immigration lawyers at LawPark are experts in dealing with the application for the Tier 4 General Student Visa. If you need legal help from immigration lawyers in London to prepare and submit your request for a Tier 4 General Student Visa and we are here to provide you friendly, reliable, efficient and professional immigration service.

Submit your application for a Tier 4 General Student Visa

If our team of professionals works with you and your request for a Tier 4 General Student Visa, you can expect to enjoy the following services:

  • Our immigration specialists will provide you with detailed instructions in regards to immigration regulations as well as the specific procedures required by the Home Office and the UKBA that are relevant to your case.
  • One of our lawyers will answer any questions about your case while identifying its benefits and drawbacks.
  • Our immigration lawyers will explain all documentation that you need to submit alongside your application for the Tier 4 General Student Visa.
  • A member of our team will examine these documents and discuss how they are relevant to your case.
  • Our team of immigration lawyers will complete the application forms and answer any questions that you may have.
  • If needed, our immigration lawyers will prepare a sponsorship declaration and explain the process in detail.
  • Our lawyers will draft a cover letter that will support and submit the application for the Tier 4 General Student Visa.
  • We will protect your interests during the entire process. We will keep you informed while the application is pending with the Home Office.
  • Our team of immigration lawyers will communicate with the UKBA and the Home Office to ensure a quick decision in regards to your application for the Tier 4 General Student Visa.