Same-sex partners under the Immigration rules are “two persons living together in a relationship akin to a civil partnership which has subsisted for two years or more”. The UK same-sex partner visa is available to applicants who wish to join their British or settled partner here in the United Kingdom. Please see the information below. Also, contact our Immigration lawyers to assess your situation if you are not sure whether you are eligible for the visa.
The individual is outside the UK and wishes to apply for a UK same-sex partner visa. Then they should submit an entry clearance application to the British High Commission/Embassy/Consulate in the country of nationality or country of origin of the applicant. You may be already in the UK and have had your current visa for longer than six months. Then you can switch to UK same-sex partner visa from inside the UK. For that, you need to submit your application to the Home Office, UKBA.
Family visa application
Full representation services for the family visa application. Entry clearance/leave to remain for individuals from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland and wish to join their settled or British partners.
The Immigration Rules
The Immigration Rules for an application for Indefinite leave to remain (ILR) as a UK similar sex partner visa of a person present and settled in the UK have been changed from 9 July 2012. You may have received your UK same-sex partner visa before 9 July 2012. Then you can make your application for ILR to the Home Office, UKBA, on the completion of two years. You may get a grant of initial entry clearance or leave to remain as a same-sex partner under the Immigration Rules on or after 9 July 2012. Then you would have to complete five years of residence in the UK under UK similar sex partner visa before you submit your application for ILR to the Home Office, UKBA.
The list of immigration applications which you can make to the Home Office, UKBA as a UK same-sex partner visa of a British Citizen or a person present and settled in the UK:
- Entry Clearance as a Same-Sex Partner
- Switching Into Same-Sex Partner visa
- Extension of stay as a same-sex partner
- ILR as a Same-Sex Partner
Basic Requirements – UK same-sex partner visa
- All applicants must be 18 years old or over.
- A relationship as a similar sex partner of a person presents and settled in the UK must be genuine and subsisting.
- An applicant must meet the financial requirement. The UK same-sex partner of the applicant must be earning at least £18,600 gross per year or savings of £62,500. It is necessary if the UK same-sex partner of the applicant has no earnings from employment, self-employment or other means of income, or receiving income from a pension, a property portfolio, or both.
- An applicant must meet the English language requirement. According to the UK Immigration Rules, he/she has to show knowledge of the English language at CEFR level A1. The applicant may be a national from a majority English speaking country. Then, he/she may be exempted from the English Language requirement.
- An applicant must pay the Immigration Health Surcharge.
- Nationals from certain countries are required to pass a Tuberculosis Test.
- An applicant must have adequate accommodation. The UK same-sex partner also has to have a place to stay in the UK without public funds.
Exemption From Financial Requirement
The applicant will be exempt from meeting the financial requirement of £18,600 or above if the applicant’s partner is receiving one or more of the following –
- Disability living allowance;
- severe disablement allowance;
- industrial injury disablement benefit;
- attendance allowance; or
- carer’s allowance; and
The applicant may be exempt from meeting the financial requirement. Then, the applicant must provide detailed evidence that their partner can maintain and accommodate themselves, the applicant and any dependants adequately in the UK without recourse to public funds.
Adequate accommodation requirement
The proper accommodation will not be regarded as appropriate if:
- it is, or will be, overcrowded; or
- it contravenes public health regulations.
The applicant may meet the requirements for entry clearance as a same-sex partner. Then they will receive entry clearance for an initial period not exceeding 33 months. Besides, that entry clearance is subject to a condition of no recourse to public funds.
UK same-sex partner visa extension
You may extend this visa for a further term of 30 months. But you have to prove your relationship is genuine and subsisting, and you continue meeting the financial requirement.
The Home Office changed the Immigration Rules. Because of that, those applicants whose leave to remain as a partner expires on or after 1 May 2017 will have to meet the English language requirement at level A2 of the CEFR when making an application for renewal of their visa.
The immigration lawyers at LawPark are experts in dealing with the application for a UK same-sex partner visa. Further, you may need legal help from immigration lawyers in London to prepare and submit your UK same-sex partner visa request. So we are here to provide you with friendly, reliable, efficient and professional immigration service.
UK same-sex partner visa route leads to settlement (ILR).
Our team of professionals would work with you and your application for a UK same-sex partner visa. So, you can expect to enjoy the following services:
- Our immigration specialists will provide you with detailed instructions regarding immigration regulations and the specific procedures required by the Home Office and the UKBA that are relevant to your case.
- A member of our team will answer any questions about your case while identifying its benefits and drawbacks.
- Our immigration lawyers will explain all documentation you need to submit alongside your UK same-sex partner visa application.
- One of our immigration lawyers will examine these documents and discuss how they are relevant to your case.
- Our team of immigration lawyers will complete the application forms and answer any questions that you may have.
- If needed, our immigration lawyers will prepare a sponsorship declaration and explain the process in detail.
- Our lawyers will draft a cover letter that will support and submit a UK same-sex partner visa application.
- We will protect your interests during the entire process. You may ask us for an update while the application is pending with the Home Office.
- Our team of immigration lawyers will communicate with the UKBA and the Home Office to ensure a quick decision regarding your application for a UK same-sex partner visa.