Civil partner Visa UK and its extension – Basic Requirements

The UK civil partner visa is available to applicants who wish to join their British or settled civil partner here in the United Kingdom. If you are unsure whether you are eligible for the visa, please see the information below. Also, you can contact our Immigration lawyers to assess your situation.

There are cases when the individual is outside the UK and wishes to apply for a UK civil partner visa. Then they should submit an entry clearance application to the British High Commission/Embassy/Consulate in the country of nationality. Besides, they can do that in the land of origin of the applicant. There may be a case when you are already in the UK and have received your current visa for over six months. Then you can switch to UK civil partner visa from inside the UK by submitting your application to the Home Office, UKBA.

The immigration rules for an application

The Immigration Rules for an application for Indefinite leave to remain (ILR) as a UK civil partner visa of a person present and settled in the UK have been changed from 9 July 2012. If you received your UK civil partner visa before 9 July 2012, you could make your application for ILR to the Home Office, UKBA, on the completion of two years. Imagine that your initial entry clearance or leave to remain a civil partner under the Immigration Rules was granted on or after 9 July 2012. Then, you would have to complete five years of residence in the UK under UK civil partner visa before submitting your ILR application to the Home Office, UKBA.

The following immigration applications you can make to the Home Office, UKBA, as a UK civil partner visa of a British Citizen or a person present and settled in the UK:

  • Entry Clearance As A Civil Partner
  • Switching to Civil Partner Visa
  • Extension Of Stay As A Civil Partner
  • ILR as a Civil Partner

Essential requirements – UK civil partner visa

  • All applicants must be 18 years old or over.
  • Also, the civil partnership must be recognisable under
  • The relationship as a civil partner of a person who is presented and settled in the UK must be genuine and subsisting.
  • An applicant must meet the financial requirement. The UK civil partner of the applicant must earn at least £18,600 gross per year. Alternatively, he must have savings of £62,500 if the UK civil partner of the applicant has no earnings from employment, self-employment or other means of income or receiving income from a pension, a property portfolio, or both.
  • A person must meet the English language requirement. Furthermore, they have to show knowledge of the English language at CEFR level A1 according to the UK Immigration Rules. However, the applicant may have an exemption from the English Language requirement. He needs to be a national from a majority English-speaking country.
  • An applicant must pay the Immigration Health Surcharge
  • Nationals from certain countries must pass a Tuberculosis Test
  • The applicant must have a good place to stay.
  • Moreover, the UK civil partner has to have accommodation in the UK without recourse to public funds.

Exemption from financial requirement

The applicant may be exempt from meeting the financial requirement of £18,600 or above. For that, the applicant’s partner needs to receive one or more of the following:

  • Disability living allowance;
  • severe disablement allowance;
  • industrial injury disablement benefit;
  • attendance allowance; or
  • carer’s allowance; and

The applicant has an exemption from meeting the financial requirement. The applicant must provide detailed evidence that their partner can adequately maintain and accommodate themselves, the applicant, and any dependants in the UK without recourse to public funds.

Adequate accommodation requirement

Adequate accommodation will not be regarded as appropriate if:

  • it is, or will be, overcrowded;
  • or it contravenes public health regulations.

If the applicant meets the requirements for entry clearance as a civil partner, the applicant will receive an initial period not exceeding 33 months. However, this is subject to a condition of no recourse to public funds.

UK civil partner visa extension

You may extend this visa for a further term of 30 months. However, you must demonstrate that your relationship is genuine and subsisting and continue to meet the financial requirement.

The Home Office changed the Immigration Rules whereby applicants whose leave to remain as a partner expires on or after 1 May 2017 must meet the English language requirement at level A2 of the CEFR when applying for visa renewal.

If you hold a marriage visit visa, you must return to your home country and apply for entry clearance as a civil partner.

The immigration lawyers at LawPark are experts in dealing with applications for a UK civil partner visa. You may need legal help from immigration lawyers in London to prepare and submit your UK civil partner visa request. So, we are ready to provide you with a friendly, reliable, efficient and professional immigration service.

UK civil partner visa route leads to settlement (ILR).

If our team of professionals works with you and your application for a UK civil partner visa, you can expect to enjoy the following services:

  • We will provide detailed instructions regarding immigration regulations and the procedures required by the Home Office and the UKBA relevant to your case.
  • You will get answers to any questions about your case while identifying its benefits and drawbacks.
  • A team member will explain all documentation you must submit alongside your UK civil partner visa application.
  • Our immigration lawyers will examine these documents and discuss their relevance to your case.
  • We will complete the application forms and answer any questions you may have.
  • If needed, our immigration lawyers will prepare a sponsorship declaration and explain the process.
  • Our lawyers will draft a cover letter supporting and submitting a UK civil partner visa application.
  • One of our immigration lawyers will communicate with the UKBA and the Home Office to ensure a quick decision regarding your UK civil partner visa application.
  • We will protect your interests during the entire process. We will keep the information for you while the application is pending with the Home Office.