The UK civil partner visa is available to applicants who wish to join their British or settled civil partner here in the United Kingdom. If you are not sure whether you are eligible for the visa, please see the information below. Also, you can contact our Immigration lawyers to assess your situation.
There are cases when the individual is outside the UK and wishes to apply for a UK civil partner visa. Then he/she should submit an entry clearance application to the British High Commission/Embassy/Consulate in the country of nationality. Besides, they can do that in the country of origin of the applicant. There may be a case when you are already in the UK, and you received your current visa for longer than six months. Then you can switch to UK civil partner visa from inside the UK by submitting your application to the Home Office, UKBA.
The Immigration Rules for an application
The Immigration Rules for an application for Indefinite leave to remain (ILR) as a UK civil partner visa of a person present and settled in the UK have been changed from 9 July 2012. If you received your UK civil partner visa before 9 July 2012, you could make your application for ILR to the Home Office, UKBA, on the completion of two years. If your initial entry clearance or leave to remain as a civil partner under the Immigration Rules were granted on or after 9 July 2012, you would have to complete five years residence in the UK under UK civil partner visa before you submit your application for ILR to the Home Office, UKBA.
The following immigration applications which you can make to the Home Office, UKBA as a UK civil partner visa of a British Citizen or a person present and settled in the UK:
- Entry Clearance As A Civil Partner
- Switching Into Civil Partner Visa
- Extension Of Stay As A Civil Partner
- ILR as a Civil Partner
Family visa application
Full representation services for the family visa application. Entry clearance/leave to remain for individuals who are from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) as well as Switzerland and wish to join their settled or British partners.
Basic Requirements – UK Civil partner Visa
- All applicants must be 18 years old or over.
- Also, the civil partnership must be recognisable under
- Relationship as a civil partner of a person presented and settled in the UK must be genuine and subsisting.
- An applicant must meet the financial requirement. The UK civil partner of the applicant must be earning at least £18,600 gross per year. As an alternative, he must have savings of £62,500 if the UK civil partner of the applicant has no earnings from employment, self-employment or other means of income, or receiving income from pension, a property portfolio, or both.
- A person must meet the English language requirement. Furthermore, he/she has to show knowledge of the English language at CEFR level A1 according to the UK Immigration Rules. However, the applicant may have an exemption from the English Language requirement. For that, he needs to be a national from a majority English speaking country.
- An applicant must pay the Immigration Health Surcharge
- Nationals from certain countries must pass a Tuberculosis Test
- The applicant must have an adequate place to stay.
- Moreover, the UK civil partner has to have accommodation in the UK without recourse to public funds.
Exemption From Financial Requirement
The applicant may have an exemption from meeting the financial requirement of £18,600 or above. For that, the applicant’s partner needs to receive one or more of the following:
- Disability living allowance;
- severe disablement allowance;
- industrial injury disablement benefit;
- attendance allowance; or
- carer’s allowance; and
Where the applicant has an exemption from meeting the financial requirement, the applicant must provide detailed evidence that his/her partner can maintain and accommodate himself/herself, the applicant and any dependants adequately in the UK without recourse to public funds.
Adequate Accommodation Requirement
Adequate accommodation will not be regarded as appropriate if:
- it is, or will be, overcrowded;
- or it contravenes public health regulations.
If the applicant meets the requirements for entry clearance as a civil partner, the applicant will receive entry clearance for an initial period not exceeding 33 months. However, this is subject to a condition of no recourse to public funds.
UK civil partner visa extension
You may extend this visa for a further term of 30 months. However, you must demonstrate your relationship is genuine and subsisting, and you continue to meet the financial requirement.
The Home Office changed the Immigration Rules whereby those applicants whose leave to remain as a partner is expiring on or after 1 May 2017 will have to meet the English language requirement at level A2 of the CEFR at the time of making an application for renewal of their visa.
If you hold a marriage visit visa, you must return to your home country and apply for entry clearance as a civil partner.
The immigration lawyers at LawPark are experts in dealing with applications for a UK civil partner visa. You may need legal help from immigration lawyers in London to prepare and submit your UK civil partner visa request. So, we are ready to provide you with friendly, reliable, efficient and professional immigration service.
UK civil partner visa route leads to settlement (ILR).
If our team of professionals works with you and your application for a UK civil partner visa, you can expect to enjoy the following services:
- We will provide you with detailed instructions regarding immigration regulations and the specific procedures required by the Home Office and the UKBA that are relevant to your case.
- You will get answers to any questions about your case while identifying its benefits and drawbacks.
- A member of our team will explain all documentation that you need to submit alongside your application for a UK civil partner visa.
- Our immigration lawyers will examine these documents and discuss how they are relevant to your case.
- We will complete the application forms and answer any questions that you may have.
- If needed, our immigration lawyers will prepare a sponsorship declaration and explain the process in detail.
- Our lawyers will draft a cover letter that will support and submit a UK civil partner visa application.
- One of our immigration lawyers will communicate with the UKBA and the Home Office to ensure a quick decision regarding your UK civil partner visa application.
- We will protect your interests during the entire process. We will keep the information for you while the application is pending with the Home Office.