Naturalisation is the process of obtaining citizenship
Naturalisation is the process of obtaining citizenship

Naturalisation is the process of obtaining citizenship of the country in which you live permanently. After you have received citizenship and a passport, you become a naturalised citizen, like everyone else who has acquired citizenship by birth or registration.

Naturalisation as a British Citizen

Critical requirements for an individual applying for Naturalisation as a British Citizen

Registration as a British Citizen

Children who are under the of 18 years (minors) can apply to the Home Office for registration as British citizens under the following sections of the British Nationality Act 1981.

[bookly-form category_id=”1″ service_id=”1″ staff_member_id=”1″ hide=”date,week_days,time_range”]

Law and Fees

You can apply for the UK citizenship by “naturalisation” if you:

  • are 18 or older
  • married or in a civil partnership with a UK citizen
  • lived in the UK at least three years before the application date

You can apply as soon as you get one of the following:

  • proof of permanent residence confirming your permanent residence status
  • indefinite vacation to stay in the UK
  • “Established status” (also known as “indefinite leave under the EU settlement scheme”)
  • indefinite leave to remain the UK (permission to permanently enter the UK from abroad)

You should also:

  • prove that you were in the UK precisely three years before the Home Office received your form
  • demonstrate your knowledge of English, Welsh or Scottish Gaelic
  • show that you passed the test in the UK
  • have a good character – read the booklet Naturalisation A.N.

Requirements for the place of residence

You should not have:

  • spent more than two hundred and seventy days outside of the UK within three years before applying
  • spent more than ninety days outside of the UK in the last 12 months
  • violated any UK immigration laws (for example, residing illegally in the UK)

You may be exempt from your place of residence if your partner works abroad, either in the UK government or in an organisation closely associated with the government.