UK sole representative visa – another immigration category

A UK sole representative visa allows international companies to establish a commercial presence in the United Kingdom. For instance, an employer can send one representative to the UK to set up a branch or subsidiary office. So, a representative may build a company’s brand, establish a supply chain, and conduct market research. Furthermore, they may register the company in the UK and negotiate with customers and suppliers on behalf of the company.
An established operational branch or subsidiary can apply for a Tier 2 Employer Sponsor Licence. They need this licence to employ more workers from overseas.
The prospective representative must be able to make critical business decisions in the UK. However, they cannot be a director or major shareholder in the company.

UK Sole Representative Visa Requirements:

  • The applicant has to have sufficient financial resources to support themself without help from public funds.
  • The individual must meet the English Language requirement by passing an exam at CFER Level A1 in Speaking and Listening.
  • The person must be employed outside the UK by a firm. The firm’s headquarters and principal place of business must be outside the UK.
  • The applicant must have extensive industry experience and knowledge in the relevant field;
  • The individual must hold a senior position within the business. Also, they must not be a significant shareholder if the business is a limited company. The applicant should have full authority to decide on the business’s behalf.
  • The person must intend to establish the company’s first commercial presence in the UK. They must not take any employment other than their work for an overseas firm.

An overseas newspaper, news agency or broadcasting organisation also can send their sole representative to the UK. The purpose of stay, in this case, for example, is a long-term assignment.
The sole representative gets a visa for three years, and then the Home Office may extend it for two more years.
This immigration category may lead to the settled status, Indefinite Leave to Remain. Settled status holders may sponsor non-British and non-EU family members to join them in the UK. They may also be eligible to apply for British citizenship.


Dependents of the sole representative may also join them. Upon obtaining the visa, the dependents may also work in the UK without restrictions.
Switching to this type of visa from any other visa category in the UK is possible. An individual may apply for a sole representative visa only outside the EEA.