Applications to the Home Office under EU law


The UK is member state of the European Union and as such the nationals of other EU member states have right of free movement within the EU zone. The EU nationals and their family members have right to live and work in the UK as long the EU national is exercising treaty rights in the UK and is a qualified person as envisaged under the Immigration (European Economic Area) Regulations 2016 (EEA Regs).
The various applications which can be made to the Home Office by the EEA nationals and their family members are listed below:

An EEA family permit is a form of ‘entry clearance visa’ to the UK, which is issued for six months. Nationals of countries outside the European Economic Area (EEA) can join their EEA family members who are exercising their treaty rights and residing in the UK.

A non-European family member of an EEA or Swiss national may join them in the UK and apply for a residence card. Residence card is a document which proves a right to stay in the UK under EU law.

Residence card is normally issued for 5 years and may take the form of an endorsement in the passport (“sticker”) or a separate document confirming the immigration status.

An extended family member must provide an evidence of her/his dependency from the EEA National family member or relationship to meet the above requirements in order her/his EEA family permit or residence card can be granted.

Non-EEA unmarried partners of the EEA Nationals, who are exercising their treaty rights in the UK, can join their EEA National partners if they can prove that she/he are in a durable relationship with the EEA national.

In order to qualify for a permanent residence document an applicant needs to show that he/she has been exercising her/his Treaty Rights in the UK for a ‘continuous period’ of 5 years. Permanent Residency is only valid in the UK.

An EEA National may apply for a registration certificate to confirm his/her immigration status to have less checks when applying for benefits and travelling.