EEA Applications under EU law – EEA immigration

EEA applications under EU law - EEA Immigration after Brexit
EEA Applications under EU law – EEA immigration

EEA Applications to the Home Office under EU law. To clarify, the UK is a member state of the European Union. Therefore, the nationals of other EU member states have the right to free movement within the EU zone. The EU nationals and their family members also have the right to live and work in the UK. However, they can only do that when exercising treaty rights in the UK. Simultaneously, that person must qualify as envisaged under the Immigration (European Economic Area) Regulations 2016 (EEA Regs).
Various EEA applications which can be made to the Home Office by the EEA nationals, as well as their family members, are listed below:

EEA Family Permit

The Home Office can issue an EEA family permit. However,  this permit is a form of ‘entry clearance visa’ to the UK for six months. Nationals of countries outside the European Economic Area (EEA) can join their EEA family members. Most importantly, they can join those family members exercising their treaty rights and residing in the UK.

Residence Card As Family Member Of An EEA National

A non-European family member of an EEA or Swiss national may join them in the UK and apply for a residence card. Moreover, the residence card is a document that proves a right to stay in the UK under EU law.

Usually, the Home Office issues residence cards for five years. For instance, it may be an endorsement in the passport (“sticker”) or a separate document confirming the immigration status.

Extended Family Members

The Home Office can grant an extended family member an EEA family permit or residence card. However, applicants must provide evidence of their dependency on the EEA National family member or relationship to meet the above requirements.

EEA applications for Unmarried Partners

Non-EEA unmarried partners of the EEA Nationals can join their EEA National partners. However, they must exercise their treaty rights in the UK and prove they are in a stable relationship with the EEA national.

Permanent Residence Document

An applicant can qualify for a permanent residence document. However, that person needs to show that they have been exercising their Treaty Rights in the UK for a ‘continuous period’ of five years. To clarify, permanent Residency is only valid in the UK.

Registration Certificate

An EEA national may apply for a registration certificate to confirm their immigration status subsequently, which allows having fewer checks when applying for benefits and travelling.